Thursday, April 12, 2018

Shorthand Notation for Musical Rhythm (SNMR)

Inspired by the powerful simplicity of Peter Giger's rhythmoglyphs, I recently developed a new shorthand notation for musical rhythms. I am using a complete set of compact symbols for all binary and ternary metric groups. For example, the symbol I is one beat worth two pulses. The symbol for one pulse is . two pulses are : and one pulse silence and the beat on the next pulse is v.

For a series of beats in 4/4 one writes I I I I
It is quick and easy to write simple rhythmic phrases such as
I : I I  I : : I  I I : I  I I . I .

Even more complex patterns look really easy in shorthand. For example, this is the famous 12/8 bell pattern of the Ewe people in West Africa:
I I . I I I .
which is played as an ostinato like this I I . I I I .  I I . I I I .  I I . I I I .  I I . I I I .  etcetera

The shorthand notation has also symbols for ternary groups.
- is one beat worth three pulses, or in binary form 100.
X is used for 110, + for 011;
> denotes 101, and < stands for 010.
Finally, w is for 001 and i encodes 111. (Case sensitive!)

With a mix of ternary and binary groups, the Ewe rhythm above can also be written as:
I I X I >
I > I I >
Or, by using four ternary groups (4 x 3)
> + < >
one arrives at a different metric feel, as compared to 3 x 4
I I . I I I .

This is why I developed the shorthand notation. It is quick and easy to use but one can express different metric groupings without being tied down to the traditional concept of bars and meters.

Here is an overview of the symbols together with a transcription into common notation:

In the next post I will demonstrate how to use silences (rests), ties and simple subdivisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Computational models of Rhythm and Meter' just came out @ Springer Nature More info at springer.com